Our History

In 1906, Letha and Elmer Shepard founded the Shepard Funeral Home. Now over 100 years later, the Shepard Funeral Chapel is still family owned and operated. We are proud to share our history of serving the St. Louis area with you. 


First Location

The first Shepard location, 5921 Easton Avenue, is shown to the left.

First Addition

The Shepards acquired in 1910 an additional facility on North Grand at Kossuth, gaining friends and performing a vital service to each community.

After Elmer Shepard passed away in 1929, the second generation of Shepards, Merle and Erma joined Letha Shepard in assuming the responsibility and carrying on the Shepard tradition.

Next Location

In 1932, the Shepard’s moved to Hamilton Ave. in the heart of Wellston. They were imbedded in Mid North St. Louis County during the Wellston boom. Erma and Merle were joined by their son, Merle “Glen” Shepard, in 1956 during his college years. After graduating from Washington University in 1958, he came on board full time with his parents.

Current Location

When the population spread to the north-northwest in the 1960's so did the Shepard's. In 1963, Erma, Merle and their son, Merle "Glen" Shepard, decided to move to our current location at 9255 Natural Bridge Road in St. John. In 1980, Erma and Merle's youngest grandson, David Shepard, joined the family business. David's wife, Caren, joined the staff in 1993. Though Erma, Merle and Glen retired many years ago, the 100 plus year Shepard legacy continues with David and Caren as the proud owners of Shepard Funeral Chapel. They continue on the legacy, as they make it their ministry, to serve the Greater St. Louis area and beyond in caring for those in that have lost loved ones.